Lumen compiles the largest ever survey about sex over 50
Lumen compiles the largest ever survey about sex over 50:
Our US results in Numbers
Earlier this summer, Lumen conducted the largest survey in the world into the sex lives of over 50s, and the results are clear. The age group are having their best sex yet!
Here are some of the most interesting findings from the survey -
• Most of the 2000 Americans surveyed have sex at least twice a month.
• On average, respondents have 2 different positions during sex with their favourite sex position being Missionary.
• Almost half (47%) of respondents have 2-3 different positions during sex.
• Over a third (35%) of men said that Missionary is their favourite sex position compared to under a quarter of women (24%).
• 62% of respondents have a favourite sex position.
• On average, respondents say they need to go on 6 dates before having sex.
• 1 in 7 (14%) respondents said they would have sex on the first date (24% of men vs 4% of women).
• 3 in 10 (30%) respondents would have sex within first 1-3 dates.
• Just under 1 in 6 (15%) of respondents aged 70 and over would have sex on the first or second date.
• Respondents have had on average 6 sexual partners since turning 50, while 5% have had 10 or more sexual partners.
• On average sex sessions last 24 minutes.
• Just under 1 in 5 (17%) respondents said the average sex session lasts 31 minutes or longer.
• 3% of males said the average sex session lasts over an hour up to 2 hours
• 4% of those aged 70 – 79 said on average sex session lasts over an hour up to 2 hours
• On average, respondents think they’ll stop having sex at 79 years old.
• Male respondents think they’ll stop having sex at 79 years old, on average, whereas female respondents think they’ll stop having sex at 77 years old, on average.
• More than half (51%) respondents won’t stop having sex until they are unable to.
• 1 in 7 (14%) respondents think they’ll never stop having sex.
• Just over 1 in 5 (22%) respondents think they have become more adventurous in their sex life now that they are older, with 1 in 12 (8%) stating that they have become much more adventurous.
• Almost a quarter (22%) of respondents think they are just as adventurous in their sex life now as they were when they were younger.
• Nearly 3 in 5 (57%) respondents stated that they have become more adventurous in their sex life now they are old because they have less inhibitions. This was the most frequently selected answer behind the 38% of respondents who stated that it keeps their relationship alive and a further 24% who simply said they have more time now.
• Under a fifth (18%) of female respondents stated that they have become more adventurous in their sex life now they are older because they have a higher libido, compared to 10% of male respondents.
• Just over 2 in 5 (41%) respondents between the ages of 60 and 69 stated that they have become more adventurous in their sex life now they are old because it keeps their relationship alive.
• 27 is the average age at which respondents think the best sex begins.
• Only 1 in 10 (10%) respondents use protection all the time when having sex.
• A further 1 in 20 (5%) use it most of the time, and 4% use it sometimes.
• 1 in 10 (10%) respondents say they use it rarely. The majority of respondents however, say they never use protection when having sex (56%).
• 1 in 12 (8%) respondents use Viagra to keep themselves sexually active.
• 3 in 10 (30%) respondents said that they are having the best sex of their life now that they are in their older age.
• Over 3 in 5 (62%) respondents have never got themselves tested for STDs.